Everyone talks about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Yet many of us have no time to eat it. We are often intimidated about the prep time in the morning when you may not have enough time. How about if your slow cooker did it for you? My slow cooker cranberry apple french toast should help.
Mornings can be so busy, and if it is a cold Winter morning, then you want something warm. As I move further into midlife, eating a good breakfast is important to me. My family loves this recipe, and you will too.
Ingredients For The Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple French Toast:
- 1-2 loaves of French bread (or whatever bread you prefer)
- 5-6 apples peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6-8 Large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Bag dried cranberries
- 1 bag light brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- Apple pie spice (optional)
How To Make The Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple French Toast:
1. The night before, cube the bread into smaller pieces. Let sit in a bag until morning so it gets hard. Now, I know that this is a French toast casserole, but we prefer Italian bread. I think it soaks in the egg mixture better.
BONUS: This is a great way to get a member of the family involved by working together in the kitchen to cube the bread.
2. Peel and chop apples into large chunks.
BONUS TIME SAVING TIP: Use already sliced apples in a bag and just cut off the peel.
3. In a bowl, add the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon, beat until blended. If you really want a unique taste, use homemade vanilla. Once I started using homemade vanilla, there was no going back.
4. Pour egg mixture over bread and stir. Gently fold in dried cranberries (if you know how to use fresh ones, have at it!) and apples.
5. Spray your slow cooker lightly with cooking spray, and spoon bread mixture into crockpot.
KITCHEN TIP: For easy clean up, use slow cooker liners.
6. In a separate bowl, cream brown sugar and butter to form crumbles, and sprinkle over bread mixture. I also added a little bit of apple pie spice for some extra zing.
BONUS TIP: You can use a fork or wash your hands well and use your fingers to create the crumbles. One less utensil to clean, and a great way to unleash any excess energy.
7. Turn on high for 2-3 hours, then turn down to warm. By the time you are ready to head out for the day, breakfast will be ready for you to enjoy!
8. Relax and enjoy with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk.
More French Toast Recipes
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe for slow cooker cranberry apple french toast, and that you will make it for your family soon.