The nights are still long and dark, and cold as well. Valentine’s Day is next month, and I want to celebrate with a date night at home. You know, a nice meal, a movie, and a warm beverage, preferably for adults only. Today I am sharing a recipe for an adult hot cocoa bomb you can make to share with your love on Valentine’s Day.
Here are a few things to know about this recipe. It contains alcohol and should not be served to people under 21. Each recipe makes approximately 8-10 adult hot cocoa bombs. So now that I have shared that, let’s get to the heart of making the recipe.
Tools Needed For The Adult Hot Cocoa Bomb
Here are some of the tools you will need to make your adult hot cocoa bomb. Most of these items are available at your local stores. The sphere molds may be harder to find, so I am including a link to them here.
- Small ice cream scoop
- Small ceramic bowls
- Small ceramic plate (make sure it is microwave-safe)
- Cookie sheet
- Wax paper
- 2 – 7mm Silicone Sphere Molds
- Disposable piping bag
What Is The Adult Hot Cocoa Bomb Made Of?
There are several different components to the cocoa bomb. I split each one into 3 parts. You will find the list of ingredients needed for each section.
How To Make The Chocolate Banana Ganache
One of the first steps in making the adult hot cocoa bomb is to make the chocolate banana ganache filling. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 1/2 C Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C Heavy whipping cream
- ¼ C Creme De Banana
You will also need to have your cookie sheet lined with wax paper for this part of the recipe. So here is what you need to do to make the filling.
- Using a small pot, heat the heavy whipping cream and crème de banana until it starts to simmer, about 4 minutes.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a bowl and pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth.
- Place into the fridge for about 3 hours to harden.
- Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop out some ganache and mold into a ball.
- Place onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet and back into the fridge while you make the cocoa bombs.
Ingredients For The Adult Hot Cocoa Bomb Assembly
This is what you need to make the actual hot cocoa bombs themselves. Here is a picture of the finished product just so you have an idea what it is going to look like. YUM!
- 1 – 30oz of Ghirardelli White Chocolate melting wafers
- 2 C of hot cocoa mix
- 1 C mini marshmallows
- Valentine’s Day Sprinkles
- Dove Chocolate Hearts
You will also need the small ceramic plate (heated up), disposable piping bag, and another cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Time to assemble that adult hot cocoa bomb!
- Using a small bowl, place ½ C of the white chocolate and set aside for later.
- Using a heat safe bowl, pour the white chocolate into the bowl and place in the microwave for 45 second intervals. Make sure to stir the chocolate after each 45 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
- Using a spoon, spoon about 1-2 tbsp of the chocolate into the mold.
- Carefully swirl the chocolate to completely coat the inside of the mold.
- Lightly shake the extra chocolate back into the bowl.
- Place the coated molds into the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and gently peel the silicone mold back away from the hardened chocolate shell.
- Carefully place the mold onto the cookie sheet.
- Repeat steps with remaining molds.
- You should now have 8 half sphere molds.
- Carefully take the open side of the sphere and place it onto the warm plate to melt off the uneven edges to create a smooth edging.
- Place the shell back onto the cookie sheet and allow the edge to harden.
- Place the bowl of white chocolate that you set aside into the microwave and melt using 30-45 second increments. Scoop the melted chocolate into the piping bag.
Final Steps To Create The Adult Hot Cocoa Bomb
Ok, so you are ALMOST there! Trust me, it will be SO worth all the effort you put into making them. Just remember how much fun you will have snuggling with your sweetie on Valentine’s Day enjoying this warm & tasty treat.
So here is what is left to do.
- Scoop about 1 tbsp. of the hot cocoa mix into the bottom of the sphere mold.
- Place a ganache ball into the center.
- Place about 5-8 mini marshmallows around the ganache.
- Place the top of the shell back onto the warm plate to melt the edges for a few seconds.
- Quickly place the melted edges onto the filled shell and gently press down.
- Cut the tip off the piping bag and drizzle melting chocolate over the cocoa bombs.
- Sprinkle the Valentine’s Day sprinkles over the cocoa bomb and place a Dove chocolate heart into the center.
Allow the adult hot cocoa bomb to set. To enjoy, pop one of the cocoa bombs into a mug and pour 8 ounces of steaming milk on top. Stir and enjoy!
Do The Hot Cocoa Bombs Need To Be Refrigerated?
A hot chocolate bomb is room-stable and should not need refrigeration. However, make sure you keep them away from a heat source to prevent melting.
How Do I Store The Adult Hot Cocoa Bombs?
You don’t need to have anything fancy to store them. I use an airtight Rubbermaid container and keep them in a cabinet away from the stove and dishwasher. You can also store them in the fridge if you want to keep them longer than 2 weeks, but I find they are just fine in the cabinet.
How Long Are Homemade Hot Cocoa Bombs Good For?
Since this particular recipe has ganache in it, your adult hot cocoa bombs should be consumed within 2 weeks. Mine rarely last longer than 1 week though, especially if it is the weekend.
There you have it, a wonderful recipe for an adult hot cocoa bomb you can enjoy on Valentine’s Day, a snow day, or just because! Remember to enjoy responsibly and share with the one you love!
Hubs and I plan on enjoying one while watching YouTube videos of the next Sandals Resort will be visiting in May.
More Valentine’s Day Ideas